marvosym encoding...

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 14 09:00:50 CEST 2003

> I am facing some encoding problems with the
> Marvosym fonts I downloaded from yandy web page.
>
> I use yandy TeX version 2.1 on
> Win2K.
>
> 1) I unpacked the zip file
>
> 2) Installed the fonts on windows
>
> 3) Opened the dviwindo and generated the
>    tfm and afm files
>
> 4) included the TeX command \font\myfonf{Marvosym}
>    on a tes file. Executed the tex and everything worked
>    perfectly on what concerns TeX + Screen Previewing.

so far, so good.

> 5) When I execute dvipsone I get the message
>    "seven characters (out of 9) not found...."

ah.  i note someone else has sent you something (i don't know what --
did i miss some mail on the list?)  it would be good to know what that
is, to eliminate other possibilities.  the other useful thing would be
to know the content of your test file.

i would also like to know what operating system you're using (and what
version of y&y tex you have, though that's less significant, i
expect).  _how_ did you "install the fonts" (for example, if you've
installed them using atm, on a w2k or xp system, then troubles are
expected).

did you try knuth's (plain tex) testfont.tex? -- it's a good way to
view what a brand new font offers.

i would download and use
  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/marvosym/marvosym.sty
with latex.  this doesn't help much if you're using plain or something
else, except it gives you a list of command names and corresponding
symbol positions in the file.

i've got a shiny new y&y disc at work, not installed yet.  i can try
things independently once i've done that, some time next week, with a
following wind.

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team