Missing fonts?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Jun 6 11:43:46 CEST 2003

Steve McKinnon writes:

> I have just installed the Y&Y system with Mathtime fonts. As a test
> I tried running the hello_CM.tex and hello_MT.tex
> files. hello_CM.tex created a dvi file, but dviwindo couldn't find
> the cmr fonts and made a substitution of MS Sans Serif instead (all
> of the special symbols & ligatures were missing too). hello_MT.tex
> was more disastrous; a copy of the LaTeX execution DOS box is:

Could you give us a bit more info? Someone just recently had a similar
problem, which I don't believe we've yet solved. The answers to the
following questions would let us see if there's some sort of common
thread between the two queries:

1. What operating system are you using?

2. What this a fresh, first-time-ever install of Y&YTeX or an upgrade?

3. Did you install ALL the fonts before starting the Y&YTeX install?

> Some other info from the dviwindo.ini file that might help in diagnostics is:
>
> TEXFONTS=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\;C:\UTILITY\LOCALTEXMF\FONTS\\
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now _what_ is this?!  ;-)) This path is not present for the next line,
the encoding which is needed for the samples to work. If I were adding
a new in-house path to one `font' entry in the .ini file, I'd add it
to all of them: wherever I saw the same list of paths for font files,
I'd add my in-house addition to all, not just one. As to what these
(and the other font-related lines are for, check both the smaller
manual and the Technical Addendum for details.

My own .ini file actually has more than just these two font-related
lines. I also have entries for:

TEX256=

ANSINEW=

STANDARD=

TEXTEXT=

Confirm that you don't need these as well.

> TEXNANSI=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\
> LATEX=C:\YANDY\TEXINPUT;C:\YANDY\TEX\LATEX\\;C:\YANDY\TEX\BASE\\

The entire .ini file would give us more to go on as well -- in fact,
it includes quite a bit of machine-related info. Just don't send it as
an attachment, as many mailers, including mine, refuse .ini files on
principle -- potential virus sources. So just paste its contents into
the body of your message.

> Everything else follows the basic installation.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve McKinnon
>
> sm at mine.queensu.ca