dvipsone support all the features of dvips

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 15:08:27 CEST 2003

Mel Janowitz wrote:

>     Now you folks have me worried.

sorry.  *please* don't worry.

> When I bought from YandY, I installed it
> without the WINEDT editor. It was a trial CD. When I installed the real CD
> with WINEDT, I could not get DVIPSONE to work with WINEDT. Louis was no
> help to me. Though I have DVIPSONE, I think I am using DVIPS. AT least that
> is what the WINEDT menu tells me I am doing. I am pretty happy with the ps
> files I get, and I see no reason to fix things unless they are
> broken.

dvipsone is definitely better at the job than dvips.  however, the
vast majority of tex users in the world manage with dvips, and there's
not many claim the output is inadequate.

> Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Can anyone tell me how to get
> WINEDT to access DVIPSONE instead of DVIPS? Or even find out what it really
> is doing? Though I am not a computer illiterate, I am not terribly
> comfortable in a Windows environment.

we might be able to help here (though not me).  however, if you're
thoroughly into the groove of using dvips, you might find switching to
dvipsone a bit of a wrench.  as you said, if it ain't broke, don't fix
it.

> I am running on Windows98, and after
> reading all your email, would be loath to upgrade to WINDOWS2000.

you may not have a choice if you need to upgrade the computer...
fwiw, i don't believe it's *everyone* has trouble with w2k/wxp, but
unless people pipe up and tell us all, it's hard to be sure.

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team