dvipsone support all the features of dvips

Mel Janowitz meljan at optonline.net
Thu Jun 5 09:48:27 CEST 2003

Dear Tech Support:

    Now you folks have me worried. When I bought from YandY, I installed it
without the WINEDT editor. It was a trial CD. When I installed the real CD
with WINEDT, I could not get DVIPSONE to work with WINEDT. Louis was no
help to me. Though I have DVIPSONE, I think I am using DVIPS. AT least that
is what the WINEDT menu tells me I am doing. I am pretty happy with the ps
files I get, and I see no reason to fix things unless they are broken.
Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Can anyone tell me how to get
WINEDT to access DVIPSONE instead of DVIPS? Or even find out what it really
is doing? Though I am not a computer illiterate, I am not terribly
comfortable in a Windows environment. I am running on Windows98, and after
reading all your email, would be loath to upgrade to WINDOWS2000.

Thanks,

Mel Janowitz

At 10:25 AM 06/05/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> > How can i get the latest version details of dvipsone and let me know
> the new
> > features if any.
> > We have the version 1.2 (1995).
>
>that's pretty old.  another of the support team will be along later to
>answer those questions -- i gather there have been a lot of changes.
>
> > Could dvipsone support all the features of dvips.
>
>it certainly does now, modulo macros that were written too long ago to
>work with dvipsone.
>
> > Some figures (using psfrag.sty,psfig.sty,diagrams and etc)
> > drawn and supported dvips and print properly,
> > but dvipsone could not give a proper output.
>
>current psfrag.sty definitely works with current dvipsone.  it may be
>that it needs the standard graphics package, but that's no real
>surprise nowadays.
>
>psfig.sty is *very* old, and even now is only capable of generating
>output only for dvips or (by editing the source) oztex.  so it's
>explicitly preventing use with dvipsone.  switch to the latex standard
>graphics package -- use epsfig.sty if you must (it provides a \psfig
>command) -- and try to forget psfig
>
>what "diagrams" are you worried about?  xy-pic, for example, can run
>with dvipsone (though i would have to research the details).
>
> > Could I include dvips instead of dvipsone. Kindly suggest me.
>
>you could, but i would not recommend it.  dvipsone produces "better"
>(resolution-independent) postscript than does dvips.  i use dvips
>regularly, but i would never dream of putting it on my machine that
>runs y&y tex.
>
>Robin Fairbairns
>
>Y&Y support team

Mel Janowitz