ATM for Windows XP

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Dec 25 11:24:34 CET 2003

Neil A Weiss writes:

> Hello,
>
> Which version of ATM is recommended for computers
> running Y&Y on Windows XP?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil
>
> Neil A. Weiss, Ph.D.
> Voice: 928-541-1112
> Email: neil.a.weiss at juno.com

In mail from a while back, I found the following from Mike Prager,
who's often supplied very useful tips and information:

> From all the reports and my experiences, it seems that Y&Y
> (especially DVIPSONE) does not work well in finding fonts under
> Windows XP unless ATM Deluxe is used.  Another user here had
> absolutely no luck, despite  installing, uninstalling, reinstalling,
> and so on, until he used ATM to manage the fonts.

What needs to be reinforced is that ATM actually can do two things:

   a. install fonts
   b. manage fonts

Under Win2000/XP, it must NOT be used for installing fonts -- the
rasterising work it did for font installatino under Win95/98/NT is now
part of the Win2000/XP environment, so all you do is drag the .pfm
files (the ones with the red-a) into the c:\windows\fonts folder (or
c:\winnt\fonts) folder.

On the other hand, as Mike reported above, ATM Deluxe is very useful
in managing fonts. I believe it's only Deluxe that allows you to turn
whole font sets on and off, once they've been set up with their
pertinent (i.e. application-specific) folders.

It's holiday time right now. I'd suggest waiting until a few more
people with direct experience (mine is with ATM Lite on an NT box)
post -- either to contradict me with true facts ;-), or to corroborate
what's been written above.

If you have to, go ahead with ATM but make darn sure it's NOT active
(you can find an of/off switch in one of its menus) while you install
Y&Y's fonts.

Of course, if you've already got Y&YTeX installed, and are just adding
ATM, then I'd say reading the ATM manual on how to set up
application-specific folders and activating the pertinent fonts would
be the next step.

Hope this helps ...