CM fonts on Windows XP

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Dec 19 18:31:33 CET 2003

Lang, Daniel B. writes:

> Hello Christina,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I noticed that the CM*.pfm fonts in the
> C:\windows\fonts
> directory have a size of 0 KB while the fonts in the CM folder of the CD
> have
> a size of 1 or 2 KB each.  I tried dragging the CM*.pfm fonts from the
> CM folder
> to the C:\windows\fonts directory.  The computer said the fonts were
> already installed
> but I typed OK to have each font removed and re-installed.  After
> re-installing the
> fonts, the size of the CM fonts in C:\windows\fonts is still listed as 0
> KB.

That the CM fonts are still coming in at 0KB just doesn't sound like
the right things are happening ...

You know something -- what's that MM doing down in your error message?
That's for Multiple Masters, and I see a whole section on the subject
in the Technical Addendum -- pp.23-24. Did something go wonky while
making the MM versions of the .tfm files? No, that's not it. You don't
need tfms for DVIPSONE ... But still ... have a look there, would you?

> We also verified that the pathnames in dviwindow.ini are correct.  Below
> is the
> error message produced by DVIPSONE.  Do we need an updated version of
> the CM fonts?
> (The fonts on our CD are dated 12/9/1998.)

Well, the font files haven't changed, as far as I can tell ... And if
you've got font files on the CD which have actual contents, while the
copying to the machine is yielding empty files, then it's the
installation process that's not working ...

Listen. I'm out of ideas and time right now. My flailing is of a lower
calibre than usual, as well, I think ...

There's gotta be something going on, though, when you try to get the
files off the CD and onto your machine ...

Anyone out there got any ideas. On a Friday night? ;-)