Problem with CM Fonts

Blenda Horn blendacarlisle at yandy.com
Tue Dec 9 09:48:05 CET 2003

Dear Dr. Garciadiego,

I sent your email to the author of Y&Y TeX Systems, to get another perspective of your problem and received an answer from him.

Here is his answer to your problem with the CM Fonts.  Sorry for it's late arrival, but it is always helpful to have more information.

Regards,
Blenda Horn

You already have a "solution" for this SW problem, but can't help but comment...

At 2003-12-08  13:15, you wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Carlos Hernández Garciadiego wrote:
>
> > I have windows XP and I Installed Y&Y according to the card that came with
> > the CD. It seems that the fonts are not installed correctly, because if I
> > try to preview something like
> >
> > \documentclass{article}
> > \begin{document}
> >

> > $$
> > f_{\mathcal{R}}
> > $$
> >
> > \end{document}
> >
> > When I preview it I obtain messages:
> > Encoding mismatch.
> > Font: cmsy7, Face Name: cmsy7
> > 'm_yc_v..' versus 'ansinew' at byte 169
> >
> > and
> >
> > Encoding mismatch.
> > Font: cmr10, Face Name: cmr10
> > 'mr1_57..' versus 'ansinew' at byte 205
> >
> > Because I have also Scientific Workplace.

This is because those fonts are incorrectly marked as "text" fonts.
In Windows (and on the Mac), "text fonts" are reencoded by the
operating system to the standard layout for the appropriate layout
for that platform.  CM fonts have their own fixed and unusual encoding
and should never be marked "text" (by the way, this is not a TrueType
versus Type 1 issue).

> > If I  uninstall the fonts from Scientific Workplace then DVIWindo sends
> > messages saying the fonts don't exist.

When using DVIWindo and/or DVIPSONE you should install proper Type 1
fonts such as the ones supplied with Y&Y TeX System.

support at yandy.com

> > Please tell me what else I have to do to install the fonts.

> the pop-menu you get when you insert the CD, chose the
appropriate font installation item