EM fonts character spacing problem

jarmo.niemela at suomi24.fi jarmo.niemela at suomi24.fi
Thu Dec 4 23:39:42 CET 2003

I have Y&Y's EM font set installed in Windows XP and MiKTeX.
Previewing (dvi, PS and PDF) and printing are OK, but there
is a minor (but to my eye very disturbing) problem with the
spacing of some characters. If I run the following LaTeX code:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{em} % Try this first,
%\usepackage{ae} % and then compare to this.
\begin{document}
$V$, \textit{V}, \par
'$A$' '\textit{A}' \par
'\textbf{f}' \par
\label{page one}\pageref{page one}, 1,
\end{document}

I get much wider gaps before commas and between the single quotes
when using EM fonts (\usepackage{em}) compared to when using
ae fonts (\usepackage{ae}). Especially bad is "$V$," which outputs
something like "V ,". Also "\pageref{page one}," produces much more
space between the number and comma than does the following "1,".
The ae fonts don't produce these wide gaps and neither do bitmapped
ec fonts.

Is there something wrong with my installation, or is this a more
common problem/feature of the EM fonts?

--
Jarmo Niemelä

Parhaat hakupalvelut yhdessä osoitteessa: http://www.eniro.fi/