directory and file names with blank spaces

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 28 13:01:38 CEST 2003

On Aug28 12:39PM, Stephen Curran wrote:
> I have been using Y&Y Tex version 2.2 on both office and home
> computers. I have run into the situation that when a directory or file
> name of a TeX file that I want to convert to a DVI file contains a
> blank space, Y&Y Tex cannot find the file. It tries to append .tex to
> the first occurrence of a directory name or file name with a blank
> space. When I enter the file name after the prompt, it produces a DVI
> file as expected. I find this incredibly annoying. I have the luxury of
> using underscores instead of blank spaces in directory or file names on
> my home computer. This is not the case for my office computer. The tech
> support staff have all staff and faculty store files on a directory
> named "My documents and files" for remote backup purposes.
>
> How does one resolve this problem?

I fear binaries are built to reflect the "unix" world and not the
windows world.  This is a good thing actually, because you don't have
to type the extension on most files - as tex will look for it at the
first space ;-)

I am primarilyl a unix user, and since I transfer files back and forth
(and !!  I hate underscores ;-) I simply use hyphens...  or always
name the files ThisAndThat.tex ...  MyPaper.tex SomethingElse.tex

I also uppercase the first character of my directories, and lowercase
the "files" within those directories...   but then, again, I'm a
unix user primarily  and only a recent windows user...

mimi