marvosym encoding...

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Tue Aug 5 15:19:48 CEST 2003

On Aug02 06:31PM, Jonas Gomes wrote:

hello Jonas,

I've not answered this in hopes someone who uses
these packages  would pipe in....

I don't use sideways or rotating and definitely would
not use epsfig ---

if you use the graphicx (note the x)  package, you have
everything in there that you really need.

\includegraphics{angle=-90 hsize=xxin]{fig.eps}

the only caveat being you must use eps figures.
Otherwise, you you x,y positions on a page, and
clip points to remove unecessary "stuff" ....

or, as I tend to do...   view the PostScript
file and put your cursor over the lower left
and upper right, and then create a bounding box

and put a line somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd line of your
file with the   llx ruy   coordinates ...
%%BoundingBox: 196 299 416 494

and voila you have an eps file  ;-)

The graphicx package also has the added benefit of placing
the figure correctly according to the page layout.

if your figure is 6" wide and 8" tall and you need to rotate
it, then you simply  set the angle to be   -90...

my only confusion these days is that the convention is to go
counterclockwise instead of clockwise   ;-)

if you grab the graphics bundle from CTAN from:
/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/graphics/
   graphics.ins
   graphics.dtx
and
   graphicx.dtx

(or just copy the .ps file for documentation)

you'll find much graphics(x) provides much
easier ways to do things...

mimi

 Phone:   (850)644-2440          mimi at csit.fsu.edu
 FAX:     (850)644-0098

 "One of the problems of modern life is that people who are good
 at being civil often lack strong convictions, and people who
 have strong convictions often lack civility."
                         (By Way of Response, by Martin E. Marty)