[Xy-pic] tilted ~

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 22 14:27:56 CEST 2011

I tried to add
\usepackage[arrow,pdf]{xy}
and \pdfoutput1
to my file as suggested by Daniel Müllner and got the following messages:
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
("C:\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\latex\base\size10.clo"))
("C:\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\generic\xypic\xy.sty"
("C:\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\generic\xypic\xy.tex" Bootstrap'ing: catcodes,
docmode,
("C:\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\generic\xypic\xyrecat.tex")
("C:\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\generic\xypic\xyidioms.tex")

  Xy-pic version 3.7 <1999/02/16>
  Copyright (c) 1991-1998 by Kristoffer H. Rose <krisrose at ens-lyon.fr>
  Xy-pic is free software: see the User's Guide for details.

utility macros; pictures: \xy, positions, objects, decorations;
kernel objects: directionals, circles, text; options; algorithms:
directions,
edges, connections;  Xy-pic loaded)
("C:\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\generic\xypic\xyarrow.tex"
  Xy-pic option: Arrow and Path feature v.3.5 path, \ar, loaded)
! Xy-pic error: No `pdf@@@' option.
\xyerror@ ...#2}\fi \errmessage {Xy-pic error: #1}
                                                   }
l.75

? x
No pages of output.

Note that this version of xy-pic is dated 1999.  But it is what came with
Miktex 2.8 (version of 2010) since I used a clean installation from a
TeX-Live CD on a new computer.  My User's guide and Reference Manuals are
also dated 1999 and refer to v. 3.7, the one I am using, and does not
mention a pdf option.  There is a dvips option but when I tried that, the
output consisted only of the nodes A and B.

Next I went to CTAN and found that the current version is 3.11 (obviously,
the Miktex program has not caught up with this).  I downloaded the zip
file and unzipped it, but there is no automatic installation program and
the instructions, at least for a Windows user, are not at all obvious.
Also I am afraid to install over the old installation.  So I copied the
file xypic.tex to the directory that contains things like xyarrow.tex and
tried the option pdf.  That still resulted in the error message "No pdf@@@
option".  Finally I tried adding dvipdf.tex to my working directory and
simply inputting it.  That resulted in no error message, but the diagram
was in no way improved.

Michael Barr