[Xy-pic] problem after 3.7 -> 3.8.1 upgrade

Kristoffer H Rose krisrose at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 18 05:25:01 CEST 2010

Dear Gabriele,

> I am by no means an xy-pic expert, so: apologies if am missing some
> blatant point.
>
> I am a chemist and have been using xy-pic for years, mainly for
> chemical formulas: and found it really great!

Thanks: if you can send us back some fancy examples for our collections
then that'd be great!  (Like, with more than one C6.)

> [...] after 3.7 --> 3.8.1 upgrade, both the postscript and pdf
> converted outputs show a row of q's and M's (I mean: a row of lowercase
> "q" letters and a row of uppercase "M" letters) in place of the
> slanted sides of the hexagon! (Here is the pdf version:
> http://www.dsch.univ.trieste.it/~balducci/xy.d/xytest.pdf).

That is bad, indeed.

It seems that the xypic.map of 3.8.1 was not correctly updated to match
the updated .pfb fonts.

I would be grateful if you can try the following:

1. Get the file http://krisrose.net/xypic.map .
2. REPLACE your current xypic.map file with the new one.
3. REDO all your steps from the beginning.
4. TELL me whether it works!

If so then this will become version 3.8.2...

> On the other hand, the dvi file is perfect, as usual.

Thanks.

> If I downgrade 3.8.1 --> 3.7, all works perfectly, as has always been
> the case.

We did improve some things too, I hope...

> I can add that the problem might be related to the xydash10.pfb file,
> which is used during the dvi->ps conversion:
>
>    dschsun3:124> dvips -N0 xytest.dvi
>    This is dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (
> www.radicaleye.com)
>    ' TeX output 2010.06.16:1717' -> xytest.ps
>    </usr/local/share/texmf/dvips/base/tex.pro>
>    </usr/local/share/texmf/dvips/base/texps.pro>.
>    </usr/local/share/texmf.local/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cmr10.pfb>
>    </usr/local/share/texmf.local/texmf/fonts/type1/public/xypic/
> xydash10.pfb>[1]
>
> With 3.7 installed, I get the correct result, as I said. However, if I
> replace the single xydash10.pfb file of 3.7 with the one taken from
3.8.1
> (all the rest unchanged), then I get again the funny plot.

I hope the updated xypic.map file fixes the problem - do tell!  We can't
have 3.8 break too many 3.7 documents.

Cheers,
        Kris

__
Kristoffer H Rose, ph.d. <krisrose at us.ibm.com> +1(914)784-7642 (fax -6324)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, PO Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598