[Xy-pic] code analysis

P. R. Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 1 04:10:48 CET 2009

Hi folks
I thought this might be a good way of making a start on xy-pic:

\[\xymatrix @C=3ex @R=0ex{
*{} & *{} & *{} & *{} & *{} & *++[o][F=]{q_5} \ar@(ur,ul)[]_{0, 1} \\
*{} \ar[r] & q_0 \ar[r]^{0, 1}
& q_1  \ar[r]^{0, 1}
& q_2 \ar[r]^{0, 1}
& q_3 \ar[ru]_0  \ar[rd]_1 \\
*{} & *{} & *{} & *{} & *{} & *++[o][F-]{q_6} \ar@(dr,dl)[]^{0, 1} \\
}\]

I've a rough idea what's described here. the \ar command, for
example, draws an arrow and by virtue of the "^" command "0, 1" are
printed over the arrow. The "&" presumably has the same role as in
the tabular environment. however, there still remains a lot that I
don't understand in the above code: *{}, *++, to name but two
commands. Any help to understand the syntax would be appreciated.
Incidentally, in case you're wonderin why I'm not simply compiling
the code and experimenting with each command to see what it does, is
because I'm registered blind and screen readers have yet a long way
to go before they can describe pictures.
Many thanks,
Paul