[Xy-pic] rotate labels (follow-up)

Wolfhart Totschnig wolfhart at totschnig.org
Tue May 15 03:19:41 CEST 2007

Hi,

Let me follow up on the question I asked at the end of April. I can now
further specify the problem I have. I hope someone will then be able to
help me out.

I would like to rotate the labels in a diagram. I have the following:

\ar[ur]_{causation} \ar@{-}[u]_{predication} & ...

I would like to have both labels aligned with the arrows, that is, the
one diagonally and the other vertically. With the Rotate and Scale
extension, this should work by using the [@] modifier, if I understand
correctly. So, with \xyoption{rotate} in the preamble, I tried:

\ar[ur]_[@]{causation} \ar@{-}[u]_[@]{predication} & ...

Yet this does not work. The labels are moved slightly (the first one up,
the second to the right), but they are not rotated.
The Reference Manual says that, in order for the Rotate and Scale
extension to work, there needs to be a suitable "back-end". But in my
case, the back-end does not seem to be the problem. I found a
work-around to rotate the labels, namely via the graphicx package and
the \rotatebox command. This works, so my back-end can display rotated
text. But with this work-around, I am only able to approximate what I
have in mind, it doesn't give me exactly what I want (besides, it's
rather clumsy), so I still would like to make the Rotate and Scale
extension work. Is there anything else I need to load, besides the
graphicx package, in order to make the extension work?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Wolfhart