[Xy-pic] xymatrix arrows in pdflatex

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 6 04:40:01 CEST 2005

An observation and a question:

1) jaggedness of arrows:  I have been advised to use, and have been
using, ps4pdf to typeset xymatrix diagrams because the arrows (that is,
the lines, the arrow stems) were, in my judgment,  too jagged to be
acceptable for publication. I discovered by accident today that one can
solve the jaggedness by adding an imperceptible amount of curvature by
adding something like @/u.1ex/, for example, in

\ar @{-}@<8pt>@/u.1ex/ [ddrrrrr]

2) arrow targets: I would like to set the arrows so that they begin at
the DR corner of an object and end at the UL corner of the target. I've
looked through the Reference Manual and Guide, but not found a
solution, though I admit I've not been able to completely decipher the
xy programming language. How can I accomplish this?

Again, forgive me if these are too simple.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222