[Xy-pic] xy and prosper

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 2 09:42:43 CEST 2004

Hello Davide,

On 02/04/2004, at 12:08 AM, Davide Sangiorgi wrote:

>  I tried to use the Prosper package (for producing slides)
>   with some latex stuff i have that uses the XY package. I therefore
> added the line
>  \usepackage[all]{xy}
>  in the preamble.
>
>  It did not work. It complains thus:
>
>  ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=70947].

Does your example use curves ?

In a slide, the overall size is roughly 4 x that of a diagram set
with a 10pt or 11pt default size for text.
But, unless you are using a PostScript back-end, curves are built-up
from a tree of overlapping dots, placed very close together.
This uses a *huge* amount of memory.

You can reduce this memory overhead, and get better quality graphics
as a side-effect, by using a PostScript back-end:
e.g.
       \usepackage[dvips,ps,all]{xy}

If you want PDF output, then you'll need to use  pstopdf  or Distiller,
on the output from  dvips .
The 'pdftex' driver is not yet sufficiently sophisticated to provide
the same functionality as the  PostScript  backends.

Alternatively, you could construct your slides with 10pt fonts,
but with a very small paper-size.
Then just show the resulting slides at full-screen size, so that
the magnification is done in the browser software.
I've found this to be a very effective way to work with Xy-pic.

>  As an attempt to solve this problem, i created a file texmf.cnf with
> the line
>  pool_size = 300000
>  (in the past i had a similar problem with pool size when i was
>   writing a book and i solved it  that way). It still does not work.
>
>  As a try, i run the same slides using "seminar" instead of
>  "Prosper" and it worked perfectly.

Interesting.  Please send an example file(s), where I can test
to see why there is a difference.

>  I also tried to replace "all" in   \usepackage[all]{xy} with some
>  lighter options: it still does not work.

    Including  [dvips,ps,... ] ?

This way you use "vector-graphics" for lines, arrows, curves, etc.
rather than building objects from smaller pieces.

>  Any suggestions?

Hope the above helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114