[Xy-pic] 'macros' with saved points

Scott Morrison scott at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 31 01:48:36 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm fairly new to xy-pic, please forgive my ignorance!

I'd like to be able to do something like this:

\newcommand{\dropblob}[1]{
	*\xycircle(1,1){}="#1"
}

That is, have a new command which drops some stuff (generally much more
complicated than just a circle), and names certain points in it according
to passed arguments. This command would be for drawing certain complicated
objects which I reuse many times. Being able to name certain points in
this way means that when I need to add more to the standard object, I can
do things relative to those named points, without having to calculate
where they are. Does that make sense? Is it possible?

Thanks,
Scott Morrison