[Xy-pic] Re: diamond-shaped frames - a little more help needed

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 02:24:34 CET 2003

Hello Maja,

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Maja Karaga wrote:

> Dear Ross, thank you again for your help. Unfortunately, the problem still
> remains.
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Ross Moore wrote:
>

> > That's where you have it wrong.
> > The arrows have nothing to do with the diamond-shaped fames.
> >
> > Since you are using \xymatrix, the targets of arrows relate to the
> > size of the contents of the cell.
> >

> That`s exactly what bothers me - I would like the arrows to have
> everything to do with the frames, i.e to end and begin at their margins.

OK.
It would be nice to be able to specify that the <POS> of an entry
has a diamond-like shape, for the purposes of calculating where
arrows start and finish. Unfortunately there is no \diamondEdge
method in Xy-pic, which is what would implement this.

So instead, you will have to explicitly name places on the
diamonds for later use as source/target points for arrows.

The 4 extra parameters to \dframe and \diamondframe
are the included to allow arbitrary Xy-pic kernel code
for just this kind of requirement.

Have a look at
   http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/MAJA/dtest2.pdf

The top diagram is your code, the lower is my latest extension.
The coding is at:
   http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/MAJA/dtest2.tex

Two different methods have been used to "fix" the middle
diamonds.

In one case, the mid-points of diamond edges are named
and used as the source of diagonal arrows.

In the other case, the corners of the diamond are named
and used as targets for arrows.
In this case, you need to be careful to not direct an arrow
at the target until after the target has been defined.

Hope this helps,

	Ross