[Xy-pic] Babel and xy polygon.

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:26:46 +1100 (EST)

Hello Florent,

> Hello,
>
> I have experimented some trouble with some work I have to translate from
> english to French. As soon as I replace the line
> \usepackage[english]{babel}
> by
> \usepackage[english,frenchb]{babel}
> I am getting lots of errors...
> I read the documentation and used the fixes with \shorthandsoff and so on.
> It worked fine with almost all my pictures except for those which uses
> the polygon feature of Xy-pic... The error concerns the <pos>
> I get an error message like:
>
> No such <pos> "1"
>
> and so on for each vertex of the polygon...

Yes; the difficulty lies with the " character,
which has been redefined by Babel.

You could try loading Xy-pic after Babel, and maybe you
need to use  \shorthandson (or whatver is the correct command)
*before* the  \usepackage[...,poly]{xy}   loading command.

The important thing is for the " character to have the same
meaning at the times when Xy-pic is loaded and when it is being used
in your document source.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore