[Xy-pic] Arrow with filled head

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:44:20 +1000 (EST)

> Thanks for your comprehensive answer.
>
> Let me add the following. In my (very) humble opinion, filled arrow heads
> would be a nice addition not because of elegance but because sometimes they
> are the required notation. In my case it was to draw UML activity diagrams.
> UML class diagrams are another case. In this last case, filled arrows even
> have a different associated semantics than empty triangle heads (which are
> also used) or simple arrows (also used).

OK; in that case, it sounds like it would be nice to have 2 new fonts
for Xy-pic; one of one triangular aeeow-heads, and another of filled
triangular arrowheads.

These fonts would need to be constructed along similar to XYATIP10, etc.
(preferably as Type 1) so that they could be used with any Xy-pic driver
setup.

When Kris and I were writing Xy-pic (many years ago) we disussed the
possibility of extra fonts of rotated characters; e.g. zig-zags, coils, etc.
It was never followed-up as neither of us had a pressing need for these.

Perhaps there is someone on the Xy-pic list who would like to take
up the challenge.
Designing with Metafont, and/or MetaPost would be a good way to start
on such a project.  Adding hinting to the Type 1 fonts is the hardest aspect.

Cheers,

	Ross Moore