[Xy-pic] (no subject)

Alexander Perlis alexanderperlis@yahoo.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:48:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi. I am new to XY-pic. Feature-wise, this looks like the package of
choice for producing diagrams, but to use it I need to solve the
following problem. Perhaps someone can help, or, if it has been
discussed/solved already, please point me in that direction. (I read
through all old digests of this list and found no mention of it.)

The problem concerns arrow tips, which are almost always misaligned.
For example, on our unmodified RedHat Linux installation, if I open
../texmf/doc/generic/xypic/xyguide.ps in GhostView,
already on the first page the arrow tips in the diagram are
misaligned. This becomes increasingly noticeable as one increases the
magnification. However, *which* tips are misaligned, and *how* badly,
changes from one magnification to another. The misalignment can be
seen without a magnifying glass on a laser printout.

For another example, the cm tips in Exercise 15 on p.9 of that same
document look good onscreen, but in the printout the tips are
misaligned (they are slightly raised). Again, no magnifying glass is
required. The misalignment catches my eye immediately.

Because the nature of the misalignment is different at different
magnifications, it appears to be some kind of rounding issue. In
composing an arrow out of a tail and two pieces for the tip, are the
coordinates of such low resolution that rounding will shift things by
full pixels? Is this a problem everyone is experiencing, or is it
local?

Thanks.
Alexander Perlis