[XeTeX] xetex crash: interaction between interchar and linebreaklocale mechanisms

Mike Maxwell mmaxwell at umd.edu
Sat Sep 9 21:39:51 CEST 2023

Back in 2018, I was trying to use LuaTeX to typeset multiple scripts.
(We needed its capability to tell you where on the page bounding boxes
were.)  LuaTeX worked ok for some scripts, but failed for example for
Tamil, where glyphs don't always appear in the same order on the page as
their underlying characters do.  This sort of issue arises with many
Indic scripts, and something similar would probably happen with Burmese,
which in some ways is an even more complex script than other Indic ones.

At the time, I recall the LuaTeX developers saying they were not
interested in solving this issue, and that instead script-specific
libraries should be developed.  (I'm going by memory here, I don't have
links to that discussion, although see here:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/.)

Since that time, Khaled Hosny has conducted an "experiment" (his term)
in using HarfBuzz in LuaTeX
(https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb40-1/tb124hosny-harfbuzz.pdf, as reported in
2019), and Kai Eigner also did similar work
(https://github.com/tatzetwerk/luatex-harfbuzz).  The LuaTeX wikipedia
page says LuaTeX "includes" the HarfBuzz engine (and links to the above
two reports).

I haven't tried LuaTeX in recent years, but it sounds like if you ran
Burmese through it and used the HarfBuzz shaper instead of the
default(?) shaper, it might work for Burmese.

I'll be interested to hear what you find.

     Mike Maxwell