[XeTeX] Tonos v. oxia

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun Nov 13 11:34:30 CET 2022

Am Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:58:28 +0000 schrieb Philip Taylor (RHBNC):

> Consider the following code :
>
> \font \greekfont = "Palatino Linotype" \greekfont U+1F7D : GREEK
> SMALL LETTER OMEGA WITH OXIA — ώ \par U+03CE : GREEK SMALL LETTER
> OMEGA WITH TONOS — ώ \par \end
>
> The final (Greek) character on each of the two key lines is the
> character described by the preceding text. Yet after processing
> using XeTeX, the PDF output contains not (as expected) two
> different omegas bur instead two identical ones, both being
> U+1F7D : GREEK SMALL LETTER OMEGA WITH OXIA — ώ.

> What is going on here, please ?

It is the font. With arial I get two different glyphs. And in the
lua-file of pala.ttf one can find the glyphs in the duplicates
table:

 ["duplicates"]={
      [974]={
    [8061]=true,
   },
}

(but luaotfload normalizes by default and outputs always 03CE also
for arial anyway)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/