[XeTeX] Uppercase in Armenian

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:13:17 CEST 2022

Hi all,

first I should mention that I do not know Armenian at all and can just
recognize a few characters. Anyway I came across a problem which
probably cannot be solved by the standard \lccode / \uccode method.
What I mean is Yerevan which is written as Երևան but YEREVAN (all
caps) is ԵՐԵՎԱՆ because և has no uppercase variant and must be
replaced by two characters ԵՎ. At least, it is visible in Elena
Yerevan's songs shot in the city of Yerevan. The following file

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{armenian}
\setmainfont{DejaVu Sans}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
Երևան $\rightarrow$ \uppercase{Երևան}
\end{document}

shows that all characters are converted correctly to uppercase but և
remains in lovercase. Is there a solution?

Zdeněk Wagner