[XeTeX] AMS/CM fonts in OpenType/CFF format

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue Nov 16 13:03:11 CET 2021

On 16/11/2021 11:54, Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:

> [M]ust I write (/e.g.,/) \font \cmr = "[cmr10.otf]" to force XeTeX to
> use /only/ your OTF versions and to report "Font not found" if the
> relevant font(s) is/are not installed ?

Rather worryingly, the following reports no error and typesets scaleable
text :

> % !TeX Program=XeTeX
>

> \font \cmr = "cmr9.otf"
>
> \cmr
>
> The quick brown fox jumps right over the laxy dog's back.
>
> \end

as (even more worryingly) does

> % !TeX Program=XeTeX
>

> \font \cmr = "cmr9.xyz"
>
> \cmr
>
> The quick brown fox jumps right over the laxy dog's back.
>
> \end

whilst

> % !TeX Program=XeTeX
>

> \font \cmr = "[cmr9.otf]"
>
> \cmr
>
> The quick brown fox jumps right over the laxy dog's back.
>
> \end

reports an error as intended.  Is XeTeX behaving as intended/documented
in interpreting \font \cmr = "cmr9.otf" (/or/ \font \cmr = "cmr9.xyz")
as semantically identical to \font \cmr = "cmr9" ?

--
/Philip Taylor/