[XeTeX] TECkit Mapping Editor

Bobby de Vos bobby_devos at sil.org
Fri Nov 5 14:03:16 CET 2021

Greetings,

I thought I would respond to Dominik's emails (plural) with one email, I
hope that is easier to understand.

On 2021-11-03 12:20 p.m., Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
> The documentation for TEC mapping files mentions the Mapping Editor.
> But a) I can't find it for Linux, and b) it "does not handle mapping
> descriptions written as Unicode text; it is strictly an 8-bit editing
> environment."  Is there any chance that these limitations, especially
> the latter, might be addressed in future?  Especially for Asian
> languages that have widely-used transliteration schemes and multiple
> alphabets (like Sanskrit), TECket mapping has moved way beyond its
> original purpose of mapping legacy 8-bit charsets.

I am curious what version of TECkit and/or where you are reading the
TECkit documentation (from the download package, or installed in Ubuntu,
etc). A few years ago, in the documentation, I added the following note
above the text you mention

> The mapping editor described below has been superseded by the
> SILConverters package, and possibly the LibreOffice Linguistic Tools
> add-on, both linked to at the end of this document. In addition, the
> source code for the mapping editor is lost. The old mapping editor
> binary (from version 2.5.1 in 2006) only ran on Windows, and does not
> run well on modern versions on Windows (7 and 10). As a result, this
> binary is no longer distributed.

The links are

  * https://software.sil.org/silconverters
  * https://software.sil.org/oolt

On 2021-11-03 6:22 p.m., Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
> Thanks, that's a good idea.  And it's not that hard, really, even just
> with vi.  I was only asking in case there was a fancy gui thing out
> there :-)

There is a nice GUI for editing TECkit maps in the SIL Converters
package. It s Windows. It provides side panels that can show the legacy
(8-bit) and Unicode fonts that you are mapping between, if you double
click on a character then the character name or codepoint is inserted
into the map file.

Since I maintain TECkit, I would be happy to create a 'contrib'
directory in the source repo <https://github.com/silnrsi/teckit> for
items such as the vi syntax file that BPJ mentioned if that would be
useful to people.

Bobby

--

Bobby de Vos