[XeTeX] latin-1 encoded characters in commented out parts trigger log warnings

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 12:43:26 CET 2021

On 21/02/2021 11:12, David Carlisle wrote:
 > I think that should be taken up with the xstring maintainers.

Yes, I would agree this is an xstring problem.

It looks like in an older version the file was utf-8. I suspect someone
saved it as Latin-1 in the course of editing, probably without realising
it at the time.

As a workaround you could try

   \documentclass{article}
   \XeTeXdefaultencoding "iso-8859-1"
   \usepackage{xstring}
   \XeTeXdefaultencoding "utf-8"
   \begin{document}
   \end{document}

to change xetex's default while loading the file.

JK

 > I don't think there is any reasonable way to say you can comment out
parts of a file in a different encoding.

 > The file encoding specifies the byte stream interpretation before any
tex tokenization
 > If the file can not be interpreted as utf-8 then it can't be
interpreted at all. Even replacing by U+FFFD