[XeTeX] xelatex not connecting letters in awami nastaliq font

Kamal Abdali kabdali at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 01:22:24 CET 2021

XeLaTeX (in combination with Polyglossia) is not rendering the Awami
Nastaliq font properly. The letters in this font are being displayed
without being connected together. I haven't encountered this problem with
any other nastaleeq font. Nor have I seen this problem when using Awami in
word processors.

%demo.tex
\documentclass[letterpaper]{article}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{urdu}
\newfontfamily\urdufont[Script=Arabic]{Awami Nastaliq}
\newfontfamily\altnast[Script=Arabic]{Jameel Noori Nastaleeq} % or any
other nastaliq font
\setlength\parindent{0pt}
\begin{document}
عوامی نستعلیق\\