[XeTeX] Guaranteed Unicode replacement glyph in every TeX installation?

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Sun Aug 22 09:20:49 CEST 2021

Den sön 22 aug. 2021 00:25Doug McKenna <doug at mathemaesthetics.com> skrev:

> Ulrike -
>
> Excellent.  Thank you!
>
> Using \setmainfont{DejaVuSerif.ttf} works on my non-Linux machine, and it
> is not listed as "installed" in my Mac's FontBook, which means it's being
> used solely within the TeXosystem.
>
> DejaVuSerif is a variable-width font.  Is there a similar fixed-width
> OpenType/TrueType font distributed with TeXLive that would work?

If there is DejaVu Serif there probably is DejaVu Sans Mono too. You may
want to look at the Noto Fonts from Google (that would be Noto Sans Mono
rather than the superseded Noto Mono!) which may have better Unicode
coverage, although the replacement character should be available in both.
Don't forget to use the Scale=MatchLowercase option!

/bpj