[XeTeX] using glyph from private use area

David Jones dmj at ams.org
Wed Apr 7 00:36:34 CEST 2021

My memory from when I looked into this several years ago is that this is built into HarfBuzz at a fairly low level: If you try to typeset a combining character in isolation, HarfBuzz supplies the dotted circle. My impression is that's because that's the way UniScribe did it and/or an an overly rigid interpretation of the "Fallback Rendering" paragraph in section 5.13 of the Unicode Standard (v 13.0.0).

You might be able to get rid of the dotted circle by attaching the combining character to an invisible character such as U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE.   Try

    \char"A0\XeTeXglyph\XeTeXglyphindex "yaPhalaa_gran"

I haven't tried this with the Noto Grantha font, but it works with, for example combining vowel signs in Sanskrit fonts:

    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{fontspec}
    \pagestyle{empty}
    % Murty Hindi 1.01: http://www.murtylibrary.com/mcli-fonts.php
    \def\nagarifont{Murty Hindi}
    \newfontfamily\1[Script=Devanagari]{\nagarifont}
    \begin{document}
    {\1\char"0924}
    {\1\char"093E}
    {\1\char"A0\char"093E}