[XeTeX] asterisk in font name - font error

Akira Kakuto kakuto at w32tex.org
Tue Dec 15 00:07:17 CET 2020

On 2020/12/15 0:31, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> It doesn''t work for me in windows. With plain + xetex I still get
> error because of the *
>
> kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Jost*', contains '*'

> \font\test="[Jost-500-Medium.otf]"

Recent installer adds
$LOCALAPPDATA/Microsoft/Windows/Fonts//
for OSFONTDIR on Windows.
Thus XeTeX can find font there if used by file name.
In this case, non-ascii characters in file path are allowd.

However, in order to use by font name, users should add
<dir>c:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Fonts</dir>
in fonts.conf, if the computer is not used by multiusers.
My port of fontconfig for Windows does not allow non-ascii characters
in file path. So if "username" contains non-ascii characters,
it should be replaced by a symbolic link which contains ascii
characters only.

My port of fontconfig for Windows does not allow config dir for
users for simplicity. So in multiuser system, there is no way to
use fonts in .../AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Fonts by font name.

Anyway it is best to install fonts in c:/Windows/Fonts for all users.

Best,
Akira