[XeTeX] bug in polyglossia/sanskrit? (problem with diacritical marks)

Steve White stevan.white at gmail.com
Sun May 19 13:51:24 CEST 2019

Hi, all,

I have reproduced François' effect with FreeSerif, as well as
Dominik's effect with Sanskrit 2003.

I started with stock Linux Mint 19.1.
Then I installled TeXLive 2018 from the PPA of jonathonf/texlive-2018.
In the results of running xelatex on the sample, I did not see any
peculiarities,
(except one with Murty Sanskrit, which appears even with older libraries).
But xelatex -v reports that it is built with and using Harfbuzz 1.7.2.

Built Harfbuzz 2.4.8 from sources (after the usual cycles of
installing build requirements)
To run with the xelatex from the PPA, it is necessary to enable Graphite2
   ./configure --with-graphite2=yes
   make install
Now in a Bash session, type
   export $LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
in the same session,
   xelatex -v
will report that it is using Harfbuzz 2.8.1.

Now the same sample built with xelatex shows the problems originally reported.

It is clear that the behaviour of Harfbuzz has changed.  The question
is, is it for the better or the worse?
Maybe the new version is just stricter about enabling font features,
or maybe it has improved its emulation of Uniscribe.
Or it may be a bug.

Will continue to investigate.

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 7:16 PM François Patte