XeLaTeX to Word/OpenOffice - the state of the art?

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Fri Mar 15 13:51:21 CET 2019

Den 2019-03-15 kl. 12:31, skrev Zdenek Wagner:
> I am also interested how you do it. I have tried with one of my
> documents (I do not need this conversion, it was just a test). The
> document contains 5 tables and 50 math equations. The first equation
> is OK, the remainng equations are total garbage, they will have to be
> entered manually from scratch. The tables are total garbage as well,
> they even do not look like tables. The table of contents is garbage
> but this is not a major issue. The problem is that in the middle of
> the first page, probably as an effect of math, the text becomes
> garbage as well. In this situation copy&paste and manual conversion
> will be faster unless there is a special (hidden) trick which I do not
> know.

As I said in my howto just posted your best bet if you have the
original LaTeX file is to redefine commands etc. in *TeX so that
the results become less garbagey and easier to correct by hand.
I don't know about math because I don't do math, so for me
not-so-simple tables are the biggest problem.  If you or anyone
else comes up with a *TeX hack which makes column boundaries
"visible",
as in inserting pipe characters or some such, it will be much
easier to tidy things up after conversion to a text format with
Pandoc.

You may also want to try Pandoc's direct LaTeX-->Anything
conversion, although it is rather lossy for more advanced stuff
it does lists, tables, small caps and surely math quite OK.

I only use this PDF-->DOCX trick for PDFs I get from my clients
where the source is not included or may not exist.
I'm still to encounter a client handing me a *TeX file... :-(

/bpj