XeLaTeX to Word/OpenOffice - progress report

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 14:15:14 CET 2019

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 08:29, Janusz S. Bień wrote:

> I got no suggestions for pandoc.

You need to ask on one of the pandoc channel, it's unlikely that you
will find any substantial expertise on this mailing list.

I just want to say that pandoc uses its own parser for TeX, so I
wouldn't expect it to work well for anything but relatively trivial
TeX syntax (I would expect user-defined macros to mostly fail), and
it's also a bit non-trivial to figure out how to modify it and build
it. I have absolutely no idea to what extent packages are supported
and how.

On the other hand the conversion from ODT or DOCX works astonishingly
well, even the math gets converted correctly (from docx at least). But
both ODT and DOCX are XML formats and thus parsing is not as complex.

If you had to write the document from scratch, there would be other
alternatives, but if you want to avoid rewriting stuff, it's a
different story ...

I think that Luigi S. and Hans H. were working on conversion (in both
directions) TeX <-> docx, but I'm not aware of this being finished
yet, and it would probably need to be backed up by some funding to
really make it well polished.

Mojca