XeLaTeX under Win10

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 02:41:36 CET 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 06:35, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Windows may need an action to make the fonts work. The manual contains
> chapter "Post-install actions". I am not a Windows user so that I
> cannot be more specific but this should be the first text to read.

Unfortunately, this text says little about Windows:

In 3.4.4 System font configuration for XeTEX and LuaTEX we have:

"On Windows, fonts shipped with TEX Live are automatically made available
to XeTEX by font
name."  This wasn't true for me, but I install TL on linux with the
addition of win32 binaries and
mount the directory on Wiindows (currently using NFS).

There are a couple generated fontconfig files in "
.../texlive/2019/fonts/conf".   There is
"fonts.conf" with linux paths as well as "c:/windows/fonts" and "
texlive-fontconfig.conf"
for use with linux.  "fc-cache" fails because it doesn't find the
configuration file.  There
are two variables that should allow fontconfig tools to find the conf file:

>kpsewhich -expand-var=$FONTCONFIG_FILE
fonts.conf

>kpsewhich -expand-var=$FONTCONFIG_PATH
N:/texlive/2019/texmf-var/fonts/conf

Since these don't seem to work,  I created a "C:\Users\<user>\.fonts.conf"
from the
above "fonts.conf" with windows paths and set the "FONTCONFIG_FILE"
environment variable to the full path of the new file:

>kpsewhich -expand-var=$FONTCONFIG_FILE
c:/Users/<user>/.fonts.conf

With this change, "fc-cache" runs and I get both texlive and  Windows fonts
in xelatex documents.
Looks like fontconfig on Windows has a problem with the texmf.cnf provided
settings., but perhaps
this stems from trying to have one install shared between linux and windows.

--
George N. White III