no more subject prefix for xetex mailing list

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 01:33:49 CET 2019

No, rewriting From without other changes does not help. First, looking
into DNS, the SPF for tug.org is set as:

$ dig TXT tug.org +short
"v=spf1 a a:freefriends.org mx:freefriends.org a:fencepost.gnu.org
include:_spf.google.com ~all"

The sender for the TL list is here in the permitted servers. SPF will
thus always pass.

Now assume that somebody at nodkim.org sned a mail to the list.
@nodkim.org has neither DKIM nor DMARC. The mail is distributed to the
subscribers. SPF passes, @nodkim.org does not provide DKIM and there
are no headers. There is thus nothing to verify and the recipient just
reports that SPF passes, there is nothing else what can be done.
Rewritingt From does no harm but it is of no use.

Now assume that user at example.com does the same but @example.com
defines DKIM and DMARC. The message is signed, the list of signed
headers is defined by @example.com. This mail is then distributed to
subscribers and some headers are added and/or modified. The
subscribers first verify SPF which passes. Further it finds the DKIM
headers. They contain the identifier of the key. The ley id and the
domain name define the URI of the TXT record containing the public key
and the list of the headers that are signed by the original sender. It
is possible to signed an empty (missing) header which means that the
mailing list is not allowed to add such a header because it
invalidates the signature.

* If the mailing list adds/modifies headers that were not signed by
the original sender, the signature remains valid and DKIM passes.
* If the signed contents is modified, the signature is no longer valid
and DKIM fails

Let's assume that we have the latter case and we try to "solve" it by
changing the From header to something at tug.org. Now the mail is sent
from @tug.org but is signed by a key from @example.com, hence DKIM
fails.

DMARC can be set as one of the following ways:
* The mail is valid if at least one of SPF and DKIM passes
* If the mail is signed, it is valid if both SPF and DKIM pass

If the From header is rewritten to something at tug.org and DMARC at
tug.org is set to the former option, the result will be SPF PASS, DKIM
FAIL, DMARC PASS and the recipients will thus silently accept mails
with invalid signatures. This overcomes the problem with DKIM but IMHO
allowing to accept messages with invalid signatures is not the right
way. The mailing list must remove existing DKIM signature, change the
>From header and then either provide its own DKIM + DMARC and sign the
mail or do not provide them at all and rely on SPF only.

And the last thing, setting of DMARC at tug.org is wrong, the DNS
query returns the SPF record, not the DMARC record.

If you want to see a working server, you can examine math-gnostics.eu:

dig TXT math-gnostics.eu +short  –  this returns the SPF record

dig TXT default._domainkey.math-gnostics.eu +short  –  this returns
the public key (I have only one key)

dig TXT _dmarc.math-gnostics.eu +short  –  this returns the DMARC
record which is very permissive on my server

dig TXT seznam.cz +short  –  this returns the included SPF record

It took me a few days to configure DKIM properly...

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz