[XeTeX] Erroneous \lastkern

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Jun 28 09:32:56 CEST 2019

Am Thu, 27 Jun 2019 23:03:09 +0000 schrieb Ross Moore:

>> there is probably something wrong with XeLaTeX, but I cannot find what.
>
> The difference between xetex and xelatex is the font:
>
> I’m sorry but I don’t understand this as an answer.

It wasn't meant as an answer. I only explained why you get different
results with plain and latex: because they use different default
fonts.

> Put another way, the result of the test should not depend upon the initial use of  \kern2019sp  at all.
> However, if it is commented-out, then  XeTeX does give  n , so the  y  is *not* coming from the letter A .

xetex has a different typesetting engine: it doesn't handle chars
but words as units.

See page 31 here http://xml.web.cern.ch/XML/lgc2/xetexmain.pdf.

So I'm not really surprised that you get the y, I was more suprised
that it doesn't happen with legacy fonts - there it seem to switch
back to the "handle characters" mode.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/