[XeTeX] [tex-live] Primitive parity, \expanded and \Ucharcat

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sun May 13 14:36:35 CEST 2018

On 13/05/2018 13:15, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 13/05/2018 12:23, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> On 13/05/2018 10:57, Joseph Wright wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Modulo any issues that show up in testing, all of the above is now
>>> done and on my GitHub fork
>>> (https://github.com/josephwright/texlive-source/tree/Ucharcat: this
>>> branch has 'all the stuff' on it).
>>>
>>> I know that https://github.com/texjporg/tex-jp-build already has a
>>> branch for \expanded. What's the best way to request 'officially'
>>> that the changes go into pdfTeX/XeTeX? I can send a .diff to the
>>> pdfTeX dev list, and put in a pull request on SourceForge for XeTeX,
>>> if that's best.
>>
>> Thanks for working on these things, Joseph.
>>
>> For xetex, a pull request would be the best approach, I think; or if
>> it's feasible to do separate PRs for each feature, that would probably
>> make reviewing and tracking the changes easier.
>>
>> Is there documentation of the added features available somewhere, so
>> we can more accurately understand what we're thinking of adding? Thanks!
>>
>> JK
>
> Excellent: I'll start on putting something together later today.
>
> Do you want all PRs against master or can they be 'chained'? Adding
> primitives, it's easier if you are working knowing which others have
> been created.

"Chained" should be fine, I expect; I doubt there'd be any reason we'll
want to take a later one but decide against an earlier one.

At which point perhaps a single PR is just as good, as long each feature
is a separate commit so that it comes in manageable chunks. From a quick
glance at your fork, it looks like that's how it would naturally appear.
So, feel free to do whichever seems easiest for you.