[XeTeX] Devanagari ASCII to Unicode mapping

ShreeDevi Kumar shreeshrii at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 17:58:02 CET 2018

> For example, it seems that the Devanagari  glyph "ब" is encoded as
0x61 (hex) in ASCII (lower case 'a' for the Latin alphabet),

Before unicode, devanagari fonts used the ASCII range (legacy fonts) -
however AFAIK there is no standardization in the mapping, though various
families of fonts had similar mapping.

see http://hindi-fonts.com/tools for converters from different mappings to
unicode.

So,  ASCII to Unicode mapping for Devanagari will change based on the font
used.

ShreeDevi