[XeTeX] Package background usage in XeLaTeX

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Feb 16 13:20:54 CET 2018

Am Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:21:17 +0530 schrieb RD Holkar:

> Dear all,
>
> I am typesetting a memoir in Marathi using package Polyglossia. I found
> that the package Background behaves strangely when used with XeLaTeX.
>
> I am attaching an example in English which is clearly a (La)TeX file (I can
> send the file that uses Polyglossia if needed). I want two vertical lines
> on the left and right side of the page (attachment- Background-LaTeX). When
> I use the package background and run LaTeX, I get the desired output.
> However, when I run XeLaTeX on the same file, I get a displaced lines.
> Moreover, I tried to place the lines by trial and error method, but, it
> seems that the distortion is not linear.

> \SetBgContents{
> \begin{tikzpicture}[overlay,remember picture]

the background packages already uses tikzpicture and puts the
contents in a node. So you are basically nesting one tikzpicture in
another.

This can work, but it can also fail. See e.g.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/46598/problem-with-overlay-when-a-tikzpicture-is-inside-another-tikzpicture
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/398734/whats-wrong-with-nested-tikzpicture-and-xelatex

and more.

So I wouldn't use the background package for this. Use e.g. eso-pic
to insert the drawing.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/