[XeTeX] Fake italics for some characters only

John Was johnoxuk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:06:12 CET 2018

Hello

Not a good example obviously - the macros are surrounded by braces in the
definition only because they are in an \hbox there.  But the braces are
certainly needed in *usage*:  \overstrike{b}{p} (to give a rough impression
of a thorn).  But if you wanted a simple macro, say one that reversed two
arguments, you could have e.g.

\def\swap#1#2{#2#1}

with no extra braces aside from those needed to open and close the
definition.  You would still need them in *usage*, of course.

But we're rather far from the original question by now!  I hope the fake
italics are now working, however he is achieving them.

Best

John