[XeTeX] Fake italics for some characters only

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 5 14:47:13 CET 2018

Hello

I didn't realize that textit took an argument, but my solution will work
(I've used the \ifitalic trick for years for different purposes!), at least
in plain XeTeX language, if one just adds the argument to the definition:

\def\Textit#1{{\italictrue \textit #1}}

Anyway, I hope that helps in the search for an elegant solution which
doesn't clutter up the input file.

John