[XeTeX] Fake italics for some characters only

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 5 10:20:09 CET 2018

Hello

I work in plain XeTeX, but I hope the following will work (and make sense)
in XeLaTeX too.

You could redefine \textit, but to keep things simple, set up a new command,
say \Textit, and change all occurrences of \textit to \Textit in your
document (or a copy thereof!).

Thus:

\def\Textit{{\italictrue \textit}} (double braces to keep things local).

You will also need a new \if:

\newif\ifitalic

Now, supposing the character you want to influence as you describe is ć
(Unicode 0107).

Make that active:

\catcode"0107=\active
\defć{{\ifitalic  {\fakeslantfont \char"0107} \else \char"0107 \fi}}

Obviously, change \fakeslantfont to whatever you have used to define the
faked italic font.  Again I have used double {{ }} for safety.

ć will then appear with artificial slanting whenever it occurs within
\Textit.

And so on for all the characters to be treated this way.

(More elegantly, redefine \textit itself but I'm not experienced with the
LaTeX \renewcommand etc. features.)

Hope this helps (and I hope XeTeX picks up on the fact that I'm actually now
at johnoxuk at gmail.com!)

Best

John