[XeTeX] which TeX-based software

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 03:27:17 CEST 2018

Allow me to contribute my two cents to the discussion.
First, it is my experience, and I also always tell my students, the following: "if you have something you want to typeset with LaTeX, somebody else has wanted that a long time ago, and yet someone else will have written a package for it". Thus, if you can find the correct package....... (obviously, that last step is not always easy and the package not always does exactly what you want).
Second, about unicode, my experiences are mixed. I use Japanese as my main language of communication. I found that "plain XeLaTeX" is not really adequate for Japanese as it lacks many common features; LuaLaTeX performs better, but still not as good as the pre-UTF-8 special "Japanese LaTeX" called "platex". In other words, even if XeLaTeX can typeset all unicode characters, you still need proper fonts, and special typesetting (such as indents, hyphenation rules, etc) may not be perfect.
If you are looking for something which based on TeX but closer to DTP software, check out ConTeXt. ConTeXt has been used for many complex, professional typesetting jobs, and the developers are very active in trying to find new solutions if needed. IIRC the current version of ConTeXt supports at least LuaLaTeX which provides support for UTF-8:
PRAGMA ADE web page: text

|   |
PRAGMA ADE web page: text
   |  |

Another option is to check out the memoir class. The manual is intimidating (500+ pages) but it will do almost anything you want.

Personally, for basic English-language document, I use pdfLaTeX + memoir class; for Japanese, I use LuaLaTeX + ltjsbook (or ltjsarticle) class.
If you have many complicated typesetting issues in one document, you can also break down the document into individual tex files and glue everything together with pdftk or something similar. Only the management of the references etc becomes a bit of a problem.
Wilfred