[XeTeX] which TeX-based software

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Fri Apr 27 16:55:43 CEST 2018

Unless you have the mindset of a programmer and enjoy writing everything
from scratch, I would go with XeLaTeX rather than plain XeTeX.

William's advice about gradually locating packages that will help you is
good.  I have used the memoir class to typeset a fairly complex book
(side margins, many tables, etc.).  Memoir gives you a lot of control
over your page layout.  Its documentation is excellent and very
extensive.  As is usually the case with computer stuff, power =
complexity; you might want to work for a bit with one of the simpler
classes to get the hang of how things are done in XeLaTex before
plunging into learning memoir (or koma, which I don't have experience
with).