[XeTeX] [INDOLOGY] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: Issues with Sanskrit 2003 font

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 17:22:42 CEST 2017

> Dear Zdenek, what you say is borne out by my tests, where the only font
> showing a difference between Sanskrit and Hindi is the FreeSerif (the -kti-
> conjunct).

Not only kta but also nna and many other (try for instance प्रसन्नता)॰

> (I used the Fontspec/Polyglossia system for language-switching.)

This is a matter of font shaping in the engine (harfbuzz, pango, icu).
Fontspec/Polyglossia only sends the language request to the font shaping
engine. It is nowadays properly handled even by modern web browsers. If
your browser is new enough, you should see the difference on my web page
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/freefont-devanagari/ where the same word is in
the <span> element, first with xml:lang="sa", then with xml:lang="hi".

> Best,
> Dominik

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz