[XeTeX] why does Latin Modern Mono have some stretch and shrink with XeTeX ?

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Wed Jan 25 11:47:05 CET 2017

Hi

Le 25 janv. 2017 à 11:13, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> a écrit :

> It seems equally clear to me that the fault cannot lie in the fontspec package,
> since it can be demonstrated with a pure XeTeX example as Jean-François
> has shewn ...  Whether the fault lies in the XeTeX engine or in the font is moot,
> I believe.
>
> It might be set in the font and XeTeX just reads it. I do not know how to look inside the font but I heard somewhere, that such mono fonts do exist.

I know about lmvtt, for T1 encoding which is a "variable" variant of lmodern mono font
for traditional TeX engine, but this has to be requested by specific option,

also Michael Sharpe's newtxtt has such an option (and I use such a "variable space"
mono font extensively in a package doc)

Perhaps Latin Modern Mono has it in the font, and luaotfload intercepts this so that
one does not see the phenomenon in the plain LuaTeX example,

Anyway, this will now break all XeLaTeX documents with verbatim parts, and
default fonts, since the LaTeX 2017/01/01 recently uploaded to CTAN.

Arguably most XeLaTeX users will have set-up their own choice of fonts in
the document, thus the impact may not be that big "in the wild".

Best,

Jean-François