[XeTeX] [tex-live] Problem with XeTeX's (and perhaps other binaries -- not investigated) handling of --output-directory

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun Jan 15 19:15:54 CET 2017

Am Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:20:13 +0000 schrieb Philip Taylor:

> But all of this is besides the point :  surely
>
> 	o XeTeX --output-directory=../dynamic-content foo (or foo.tex)
>
> should compile foo.tex, not ../dynamic-content/foo.tex

The output-directory is not only for output-files. XeTeX must also
be able to read from this folder, e.g. a toc-file or an aux-file.
And if there is (in a latex compilation) an (older) foo.aux in the
current folder and a new foo.aux in /dynamic-content you would want
it to find the newer one. Which means that the output-directory must
be added at the begin of the texinputs path.
(In miktex it is the other way round and this can be quite confusing
when I test something with output-directory)

On the whole I would say, that if you want to use --output-directory
you should avoid files with the same name in both folder. Like the
other adjustments one should do it doesn't take to much brain-power
to follow such a rule.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/