[XeTeX] Mixed Roman and Indian alphabets for Sanskrit

alessandro a.graheli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 21:41:07 CET 2017

Yes, exactly. I'm using this newcommand to get devanagari with Sanskrit
hyphenation:

\newcommand{\dn}[1]{\textsanskrit{\devanagarifont{#1}}}

I also use this for occasional romanized Sanskrit passages within
English prose, to switch the hyphenation from English to Sanskrit and
also get the italics along:

\newcommand{\romskt}[1]{\textsanskrit{\emph{#1}}}

Cheers,

Alessanro

On 02/14/2017 03:00 PM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
> Nice to see you here, Alessandro!  Many thanks for your code.  So it's
> the \begin{sanskrit} that switches on the correct hyphenation. And the
> string "devanagari" in \devanagarifont is the same as switching on
> [Script=Devanagari], I guess.
>
> So for the common situation like this:
>
>      संस्कृतभाषा (/saṃskṛtabhāṣā/)
>
> ​one could construct
>
>     \newcommand{\skt}[1]{%
>
>     \begin{sanskrit}{\devanagarifont #1} (\emph{{\sanskritfont
>     #1}})\end{sanskrit}%
>
>     }​
>
> ​and get the right scripts and hyphenations.
>
> Even if this works, I am unhappy with the terminological confusion
> between scripts and languages.  This seems to be built in to
> Polyglossia.  As we both know, many languages are written in
> Devanagari, and Sanskrit is written in many scripts, including Latin.
>  ​This isn't very clearly expressed in Polyglossia.
>

> ​Must rush,
> Best, and greetings to the family,
> Dominik​
>

>> --
> Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
> ​,​
>
> Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
> ​,​
>
> Department of History and Classics
> <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
> ​,​
> University of Alberta, Canada
> ​.​
>
> South Asia at the U of A:
> ​sas.ualberta.ca​ <http://sas.ualberta.ca/>
> ​​
>

> On 14 February 2017 at 04:01, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
> <mailto:zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     As already mentioned, Script=Devanagari switches the correct
>     shaping of the font so that ki appears as कि and not as क followed
>     by ि matra. Try to enter किताब with and without it and you will
>     see the difference.
>

>     Zdeněk Wagner
>     http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
>     <http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml>
>     http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

>     <mailto:news3 at nililand.de>>:
>
>         Am Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:47:09 -0700 schrieb Dominik Wujastyk:
>
>         > Does "Script=Devanagari" turn on the hypy-sa hyphenation fil
>
>         No. hyphenation patterns are turned on with \selectlanguage{XXX}
>         commands  (and similar commands from polyglossia, babel or the
>         engines).
>
>         --
>         Ulrike Fischer
>         http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
>         <http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/>

Dr. Alessandro Graheli
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Hollandstrasse 11-13, 2nd Floor
1020 Vienna
Austria