[XeTeX] new version of HarfBuzz

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 09:36:28 CEST 2017

On 21/04/2017 19:53, maxwell wrote:
> On 2017-04-21 13:46, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> I believe that xetex should be unaffected by that bug, because that
>> was an issue with the harfbuzz interface to graphite, but xetex uses
>> graphite directly without going through the harfbuzz layer (provided
>> you load the font with the /GR option, or whatever the fontspec
>> equivalent of that is).
>
> There is certainly a bug in the way certain sequences of characters are
> output by xe(la)tex.  Whether the bug is in xetex, or harfbuzz, or the
> font itself is beyond my ken.  Martin Hosken (who submitted the harfbuzz
> bug fix) seemed to think that would fix the issue in xetex, but I'm not
> sure he actually tested it with xetex, which I suppose would require
> re-compiling xetex.

It sounds from some off-line discussion as though it does in fact fix
the issue in xetex, as the shaping back-end was refactored to handle
graphite via the harfbuzz wrapper some time ago -- my initial response
was based on how the code used to be, back when it was first written.
Sorry for misleading!

So pulling a harfbuzz update into texlive/xetex and rebuilding would
indeed be beneficial.

JK